The WOLFPACK program
The WOLFPACK is designed for youth 10+ years of age. The WOLFPACK was developed exclusively by BEARS to serve those athletes who wish to have fun and experience real challenges on skis but do not want to specialize too much in either of racing or wilderness skills: this is for the kids who want to try out a bit light touring and wilderness survival. The objective is for youth to learn and demonstrate basic cross-country ski skills (both classic and skating) and fitness in a fun environment, without the constraints of a more focused program. Each week they will meet up and go for a guided, coached tour on skis, sometimes meeting up with the racers for a game, or meeting with the wilderness group for a survival skill. They will target recreational racing (loppets and other events), and some back country trips. All BEARS training sessions will STILL be open to the Wolfpack. Athletes can stay in this group and continue to grow and challenge themselves in rec racing, trips and other BEARS events, or they can decide to focus on one of the other groups. We also encourage parents to join in the Wolfpack…if you can keep up!
Goals of The WOLFPACK
- Have FUN!
- Develop ABC’s. Agility, Balance, Coordination and speed
- Bring kids up to speed on skills so that they can move on to any of the other ptrograms
- Let kids experience both racing and adventure so that they can decide which they like best...or both!
- Utilize games and ski playgrounds to develop technique, speed skills and fitness
- Develop a team/social atmosphere
- Encourage inter-club social, skill and fitness orientated ski activities e.g. camps